- Aim to be quick AND accurate
- Too slow and correct is not good
- Too fast and incorrect is not good
- Don’t worry if you answer some wrong, relax & keep going
General Advice – Do’s
- Arrive motivated to do the test well.
- Have at least 7 hours sleep on the night before.
- Be in a quiet, well-lit room that is free from all distraction.
- Turn off your mobile and landline phone.
- Close programs and applications on your computer.
- You can wear headphones connected to the computer’s audio component to hear the cues from the test and to help block out external noise if you choose.
- Turn the volume up on the computer so you can hear the audio feedback that the test will give you.
- A practice test is highly recommended.
- Read instructions carefully – ask the supervisor about anything not clear.
- 10. Complete all tasks without interruption or delay.
- 11. Stay relaxed and focused.
- 12. Keep the index finger of both hands ready on the “K – Yes” key and “D – No” key throughout.
General Advice – Don’ts
- Take the test if you are sleepy, tired, rushed, distracted, emotionally distressed, or not motivated to do the test.
- Drink alcohol and / or take sleep medicine 24 hours before the test.
- Eat or drink while taking the test.
Task Specific Advice
Task 1 – Simple Processing Speed
When the card turns over – press ‘K’ (Yes) as quickly as possible.
Task 2 – Attention
Is the card RED – press the ‘K’ (Yes) or ‘D’ (No)?
Tip: Keep asking yourself “is this card red?”
Task 3 – Learning
Have you seen the card any time before – press the ‘K’ (Yes) or ‘D’ (No)?
Tip: It may help to say the card aloud when you see it, as the verbal key can add to memory retention.
Task 4 – Working Memory
Does this card exactly match the one directly before – press the ‘K’ (Yes) or ‘D’ (No)?
Tip: Keep asking yourself “is this card the same as the card I have just seen?”
Take Home Message
The Axon Sports Test has built in software checks that can detect when the athlete is trying to perform poorly on the test by trying to consciously manipulate their response time.
Last updated 4 October 2013